It’s the summer time, and we know hair-free is the way to be! Shaving regularly is a part of your beauty routine during this time of the year, and unless you’re one of the lucky ones, you may be experiencing some razor burn. These itchy, red bumps can be both uncomfortable and unattractive, so we wanted to provide you with some tips on how to prevent them.
1. Exfoliate - Exfoliating your skin prior to shaving will help get rid of dead skin cells that have built up. Apply an all-over body exfoliator, such as Repêchage Sea Spa Glow Natural Exfoliator with Dead Sea Salts, to leave your skin razor-ready. Plus, exfoliating will help to prevent in-grown hairs that can arise from shaving.
2. Don’t dry shave – If you’ve ever experienced shaving without water versus with, then you know why we are stressing this. Dry shaving can lead to serious discomfort to the skin. When shaving, use cold water and a moisturizing shaving lubricant. We love to use our Vita Cura® Triple Action Nutrí Oil, as it helps to both condition and soften the skin – perfect to prevent razor burn.
3. Shave in the right direction – Shaving in the right direction can help avoid irritation. We recommend you shave once with the hair growth, and for the second stroke shave against it. Follow this method, and use our Vita Cura® Triple Action Nutrí Oil before repeating, to leave your skin smooth and free of razor burn.
4. Use a clean & sharp blade – Opt to clean your blade after usage to get rid of gross buildup and bacteria, or use a fresh blade each time. Both will result in a better shave, and a sharp blade will make the shave easier – you will have to go over the hair less than with a dull blade, meaning less risk of irritating your skin.
5. Apply a soothing moisturizer afterwards – In between shaves don’t forget to moisturize from head to toe, as dry skin can lead to razor burn. If you’re a man shaving your face, this means making sure to apply a facial moisturizer, such as our Biolight™ Brightening Daytime Protection Cream! For women, make sure to moisturize from the neck down with a rich moisturizer, such as our Seaweed Body Cream. The Laminaria Digitata and Ascophyllum Nodosum Seaweeds in this cream will help lock moisture into the skin and prevent dryness, making this perfect to use in those areas that are getting shaved and all over!
*This blog is for informational purposes only and is not intended as medical advice, treatment or diagnosis. Always seek the advice of your doctor or health provider with any questions or concerns you may have about a medical condition.