Running out to take in the rays after being cooped up for months? It’s true that sunlight can benefit the body and mind, helping the body release endorphins, the feel-good hormones, and promoting Vitamin D production, but unprotected sun bathing can have far more negative effects.
UV light can damage the skin in many ways, causing disruption in DNA, inflammation, hyperpigmentation, compromise of the skin barrier, and, ultimately, can result in the formation of skin cancer.
Just putting on a full spectrum SPF 30 or higher may not be enough. Wind can dry out the skin surface layer, causing sun protection to slough off and decreasing the SPF of sun protection products. And, if you are taking the sun in bursts, running out when you can, you should know that intermittent sun exposure can actually cause more damage to the skin and even increased risk of melanoma.
Remember to apply and to continue to reapply full spectrum SPF when you are out doors. What to do if you come home with red, irritated skin from the elements?
Here’s your smart plan to deal with too much fun in the sun.
- Instant Relief: Use an after-sun gel to instantly soothe and cool the skin. Hydra Soleil® Deep Relief Tea Gel is a lightweight gel that contains a nourishing cocktail of soothing and restoring botanicals such as Deep Sea Thermus Thermophilus a powerful antioxidant that helps to restore the skin’s protective moisture barrier and vitamin-rich Aloe and Cucumber extracts to cool and restore skin and help reduce the appearance of redness while helping to restore the skin’s moisture barrier. Hyaluronic Acid works to deeply nourish and hydrate the skin’s surface layers.
To use, apply a light layer to skin on both face and body. For extra cooling effect, keep the tube in the refrigerator. Or, borrow a pro tip from the spa by pouring gel into small soufflé cups and freezing into cubes to glide over affected areas as needed.
- Soothing Sheet Mask: To instantly cool and refresh delicate facial skin that has been over-exposed to the elements, apply a soothing sheet mask that quickly helps to reduce the appearance of redness caused by the environment and stress.
Red-Out® Soothing Sheet Mask utilizes the blend of vitamins, minerals, trace elements, amino acids and antioxidants found in seaweed extracts, combined with skin softeners such as Allantoin, Aloe, Hyaluronic Acid and Mirabilis Jalapa extract to bathe skin in moisture while it helps to soothe the appearance of the skin.
To use, apply to skin and leave on for ten to fifteen minutes. Carefully remove and gently massage the remaining serum into the skin.
- Seaweed Facial Spray: Many people carry hydrating water sprays with them to help moisten skin on the go. Water, however, will just evaporate, and could actually cause more damage to the skin during the process. Use a hydrating spray that contains Seaweed extract as well as other natural ingredients that deliver essential moisture, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals to the skin.
Unlike other products that are pure water in a bottle, Algo Mist® Hydrating Seaweed Facial Spray has a unique combination of seaweed extract, Vitamin C, Gingko Biloba, Aloe and Orange Water to help keep skin feeling smooth and soft. Perfect for travel, but use it anytime - on the beach, at the gym, in the office, to refresh makeup or at home.
To use, close eyes and spray over entire face. Use as often as needed. For an extra cooling effect, keep in the fridge!
- Restore Skin’s Barrier: Even though its summer, it is still essential to restore the skin’s natural barrier, especially when it has been compromised by environmental factors such as UV light and wind.
Use a hydrating facial oil such as Hydra Dew Pure™ Oil on the skin morning and night. This oil was formulated to address the needs of skin that is severely dry or compromised by environmental aggressors such as pollution, UV light, wind, overly-aggressive skin treatments such as microdermabrasion and chemical peels, and even effects of chemotherapy and radiation.
Combining Repêchage®’s exclusive, pure Laminaria Digitata seaweed extract with natural oils, including powerful Mastic Oil from the Aegean island of Chios, Organic Cannabis Sativa Seed Oil, and Camellia Japonica Seed Oil, known for its moisturizing properties and used for centuries in Japan, this oil can soften and sooth even the driest, most compromised skin.
To use, apply 10 drops of oil to clean skin and proceed with massage into the skin. For best results, use in conjunction with the new Repêchage® Kansa Wand.
And coming in August, the new Hydra Dew Pure™ Elixir Balm, an intensive skin salve that can help restore and seal the skin’s natural moisture barrier.
- Rich Body Cream: Don’t let skin peel and flake! Seaweed Body Cream is based on the renowned sea therapies found in the most exclusive European spas. This luxurious cream is enriched with Vitamin E, and Ginkgo Biloba and two additional select Seaweeds to create a visible reduction in dryness and flakiness.
To use, Apply generously after exposure to the elements such as sun, wind and cold. Use daily after shower or bath.
Have any questions about summer skin? Let us know below!