(📸 credit: Instagram/ @angelicakotliar)
Whether you like to take the traditional selfie (alone) the "usie" (with a friend), or wait for special occasions to start snapping away, there’s nothing worse than having to snap 10 times before you get the right shot.
To prevent wasted time and frustration, here are our favorite beauty tips to help you have a face that is camera-ready and picture-perfect!
Morning Skin Care Routine
- Cleanse: Reduce the appearance of oiliness, grime, and get that morning glow going by cleansing.
- Diminish the appearance of puffiness: Lay a pair of eye pads soaked in a blend of black, green and white teas across your eyes for a refreshing pick-me-up in the morning.
- Tone: A toner will help re-balance your skin and counteract any perceived imperfections such as the appearance of uneven skin tone, or dryness.
- Exfoliate: Exfoliating is so important! Find a face mask for your skin type or use a quick exfoliating mask to slough off any rough dead skin and give you a smooth canvas to work with before applying makeup.
- Serum: Find a serum for your skin concerns to provide the glow to your skin that will rise to the top of any photo. You can dab some serum on your eyebrows to re-hydrate and nourish.
- Moisturize: To get that perfect glam shot, dewy skin is the trick. Ask any selfie connoisseur - skipping out on a moisturizer isn’t an option.
- Prime: Priming is the final step before makeup application, and can give you another opportunity to smooth out any rough patches if you use a primer with minerals. This will give you a smoother texture by blurring out fine lines and bumpy textures.
Nighttime Skin Care Essentials
In addition to your skin care regime, these are two essentials everyone can benefit from:
- Face Mask: A sheet mask is easy to apply, and makes for a great selfie ;)! An exfoliating face mask will help lift away those dead skin cells and give your skin a glow, or if your pores are a problem, a deep-pore cleansing mask can help shrink them down to size.
- Drying Lotion: Photoshop should only be your last resort to mask imperfections! Keep a drying lotion on hand to apply to problem areas overnight to ensure your skin stays clear and smooth.
What are the basic makeup essentials?
Concealer: Start with applying your concealer under your eyes to reduce the look of puffiness and cover dark circles.
Foundation: A non-comedogenic liquid foundation will create an even looking skin tone.
Powder: A translucent mineral rich loose powder will set your foundation to achieve a flawless matte, non-greasy look.
- Setting Spray: A seaweed-based mist will help smooth the appearance of your skin, hydrate and leave you with glowing and fresh skin for the next picture.
Bonus Selfie Tips
- Lighting is key! Opt for shooting in the morning to maximize the benefit of natural light.
- Always shoot outdoors if possible.
- If there is inclement weather, try to shoot by a window.
- If your setting selection is limited, get a ring light for an even, bright illumination.
- If you’re using a more professional DSLR type camera, go for the “beauty” mode.
What other tips do you have for the perfect selfie? Share with us all in the comments below!